Friday, March 28, 2008

Masterpieces of World Literature

Recommended reading:

Masterpieces of World Literature
edited (1989) by Frank N. Magill
published by Harper Collins 1952, 1989

This book is to educated lovers of literature what the Kama Sutra is for educated lovers. Or something like that. Not the literature itself, but intelligent commentary about the literature. Read about what you've read already and you are reminded and refreshed. Read about what you haven't read and you are enticed to try something you haven't before. A delightful and handy reference, no?

This book was presented to me as a gift today by my supervisor. According to the info on the dust jacket, this book retails for $55. Whoa! I'm with the right crowd for sure. Well, I was with the right crowd. Due to budgetary reasons, my position has been eliminated. Today was my last day. Several of us met at China Palace for lunch - a farewell lunch, if you will, on my behalf. The buffet there is megalicious. My supervisor told me he's sorry to see me go. I'm sorry to see me go too. I've got a mortgage payment and a mound of credit card debt. I got my safety glasses repaired (the nosepad had come off) for $5.75 at the Safety Shop, went back to my office to send another e-mail, then over to Kelly Scientific Services to turn in my badge. Hopefully the interview I had on Wednesday will lead to an offer, or else the interview I have next Wednesday. It's work finding work. But my supervisor at Kelly has been great in finding positions available for me to interview for. I have much to be grateful for, and this book - signed by many of my former colleagues - will remind me of that again and again for years.


-- "It is our goal to appreciate and improve our talents, to share our own work and to communicate the joys of poetry with others. Everyone's poetry is valued."
River Junction Poets Mission Statement

No comments: